Saturday, November 13, 2010

World Diabetes Day // Bloggers Unite

World Diabetes Day // Bloggers Unite

Several years ago, I was told that I was going to have a student who was diabetic. I began to panic. After all, what did I know about diabetes, really? Except that both my Uncle Gary, and a friend from work, Linda, had both passed away from it. Diabetes seemed like a death sentence to me. The fact that this 3 year old boy had it....how would I be able to do this?
When I met this little boy, he was adorable. He wore a Patriots jersey. He seemed normal in every way. The nutritionist on staff assured me that I would be able to care for him. She gave me information; showed us how to test his blood sugar; and how to help him make good eating choices.
Anthony taught me more about diabetes than anyone ever could have. Together, over the two years that I was his teacher, we learned together. I knew when he was "low", and he began to learn when he was low. We worked together to test his blood sugar, to help him make good choices, and to take control of his diabetes.
Other teachers were afraid of him; they never wanted me or his mother to be absent because they were too scared to take control. Anthony taught me it was all about being in control. I will never worry about it again because of him.
His mother became a friend; and today I know that Anthony is doing so well. I am proud of him.
I had watched my uncle Gary lose his battle with diabetes, and it was devastating. He passed away at 46 years old, and was a completely different person from who I'd known growing up. My friend Linda, who was always in control of her diabetes, lost her battle rather suddenly at 35. She left a young son and infant daughter. I was devastated for them.
Watching Anthony grow up, though, I realized it was not a death sentence.
I have other friends with diabetes. They live with it every day, and stay in control.
I am proud of them all.
I hope someday that there is a cure for diabetes.
I blog today for them all- Anthony, Uncle Gary, Linda, Kristin, Kristen.

No comments:

Post a Comment